Skip to content

A Bad Start to the Day!

Rarely does it happen that one of my parents comes into my bedroom in the middle of the night, so when it does happen, and it’s usually Mom, I’m immediately awake.

“Kirb, wake up. Dad fell out of bed and he’s bleeding.”

Yep, I’m awake alright.

I went down to discover he was on the toilet, so of course, I waited. Nobody needs to see that. When he came out, he was holding a bloody t-shirt up to his head.

We wrestled it away from him and I discovered a gash about 1.5″ long and very bloody. I know from my days in medical assistant school that heads bleed a lot, so I’m not immediately alarmed. I mean, it’s alarming because he fell and busted open his head, but it didn’t look like it needed stitches.

His whole face was bloody, so we sat him down with some wet gauze pads and helped him wipe the blood off. I bandaged him up and everyone went back to bed. I’m a little concerned that he gave himself a concussion or something, but he didn’t lose consciousness or get nauseated, so I’m not too worried.

Mostly, I’m worried because he’s 85 and any blow can be a devastating blow. He’s not up yet, so I don’t know what we’re facing today. There’s still a chance he needs stitches. I’ll evaluate in the light of day.

It was hard to go back to sleep, but I did manage to fall off again after about 5, and slept until 6:45. Not great, but what are you going to do?

The problem is that he falls out of bed frequently. My plan is to put a ring camera in there to see if he’s rolling out or standing up and losing balance. That will help us know what steps to take next.

The last time he fell was a couple of weeks ago and he broke a lamp. I’d rather he break stuff than himself.

These are the things that stress me out. Sometime, I’ll tell you about the morning Mom collapsed. That was a great time!

On a more positive note, my evening with Alivia, my youngest granddaughter, went well, if you consider dropping $75 at Target a good evening. In her defense, I purchased an OSU t-shirt for myself, which I earned by hitting a milestone in one of my goals. I also had hair gel and something else in there, so it wasn’t all on her.

We did our dinner at Chick-fil-A where she insisted on eating at a high-top table. This made me nervous because her vitamin D levels are very low and I kept fearing she would fall. But we ate and made it out without incident.

Then, we went to Target and wandered around there for about 30 minutes. Our next stop was Graeters, which is a local ice cream chain that has great ice cream, if you’re not allergic to dairy. She got a kit scoop of cotton candy with a face but no sprinkles. Whatever that means.

We then went back to her house and I got her to take a bath after her ice cream. While her highness was bathing, her sister came home from baking with her aunt, fondly known as “Kiki” (aka Taylor). Ava and Keeks were making cupcakes. Taylor and her husband just live in a neighborhood across the street from Jaime’s so they’re very close by.

Anyway, after I got Lulu out of the bath, we played with an activity book she got and then my daughter came home. All in all, a fun evening that I wouldn’t trade for all of the money in the world!

How was your Monday?

What'cha thinkin?